Hello again readers, the blog returns once more, this time with me freshly returned from the exotic United States!
In the news this edition:
- The Bluewater Store becomes one year older. Events are fun, staff are auctioned, cake is yummy!
- Games Workshop release three new skimmers: The Space Marine Stormtalon, the Ork Bommer and the Necron Night/Doom Scythe.
- A friend’s Grey Knight cheese list wins at Badab War campaign – we’re never going to hear the end of it!
So, new skimmers. I must admit, they’re all rather cool (for cool, see: geekgasm), but let’s go into some detail, shall we?
- Assault Cannon as standard.
- BS 5 if it remains still.
- Ceramite Plating (suck that melta-spam!)
- Aerial Assault special rule (Move 12” and fire everything.)
- Can escort a unit arriving from reserve.
- High points cost (130pts!)
- Cannot escort a unit Deep Striking.
- Cannot squadron (Booo!)
- The model is hardly what you’d call pretty! (see: Potato with wings!)
- Aesthetically pleasing.
- Pretty quick (36” flat-out.)
- Can be used as a transport OR gunship.
- Limited weaponry.
- Looks like a Death Glider or Cylon Raider.
- It’s a Necron vehicle (enough said!)
- Can be built as one of three variants.
- Aesthetically pleasing. (see: gorgeous!)
- Lots of cool weapon options and upgrades.
- Waaagh! Plane rule – Can fire twice as many shots as possible during a Waaagh!
- I tried looking for a con, I really did! But like most Ork toys, there aren’t any I can see…
The general consensus on the internet has been that the Ork and Necron skimmers = win, and the Space Marine one = fail. I disagree. Change the weapons around about and the Stormtalon could look quite cool. I guess we’ll see when I get my hands on one next weekend 🙂
Now a bit of a gripe…
A friend (I won’t name names) has gone to the Badab War weekend in Nottingham. This is a narrative campaign, designed for people to have fun, not relentlessly beat the stuffing out of one-another to see who’s best.
However, this friend has taken a tournament-standard (and extremely beardy/cheesy) Grey Knights army. I’m sorry, did I miss the Grey Knights on the order of battle? I know the ruleset this time around was changed to allow non-Badab armies to boost ticket sales, but some people just enjoy taking the piss…
3 Psyfleman Dreadnoughts – I mean come on! What kind of person actually USES that?
Unsurprisingly, he’s won all three games – we’ll never hear the end of it! (Incidentally, this is a feat he has yet to manage with a fair and balanced list…)
Maybe some catastrophe will befall his Grey Knights tomorrow? I wonder if I can smuggle in some dice weighted to always roll ones? Maybe he’ll face six Leman Russ Demolishers, or a silly amount of Plasma Cannons?
Or maybe I’ll just theorise a list to take him down a peg or six?
Anyone up to the challenge?
Write me at the usual address: email@example.com or grab me via alternative means if you know me personally, and we’ll work something out 🙂
Until next time!